WELCOME TO STIWT.COM THE HOME OF STIWT ONLINE BROWSE THROUGH THE WIDE SELECTION OF SPECIAL
EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES WE HAVE IN PLACE OVER THE COMING MONTHS BOOK YOUR TICKETS ONLINE, CALL 01978 841 300 OR SPEAK TO ONE OF OUR STAFF LIVE
BY CLICKING CHAT NOW ON THE LEFT OF THIS PAGE

 

LATEST NEWS The Stiwt Announces launch of new website at stiwt.com to go live from the 1st June The Real thing announce that they are super excited to play at this new North Wales venue.
The Real Thing will be live from the 15 November 2014

Theatr Stiwt first opened its doors on 25 September 1926 and true to the vision of its founders it was to dominate the social and cultural life of the local community for decades. It provided not only a theatre in Wrexham but also a concert hall, cinema, games rooms, public library and multi-function rooms.

The theatre was built by the community for the community by the Miners Welfare Organisation who levied 1p a ton on extracted coal in the harsh years of the depression between 1924-26 at a cost of almost £18,000. It was supported and run on a daily basis by subscription of 2 pence per week from the meagre wages of hard working miners who managed to raise another £20,000.

Sadly, Theatr Stiwt entered a period of decline during the 1970s which eventually led to its closure in 1976. Falling into disrepair, the grand old building was considered for demolition in 1985 due to its condition, made worse by dry rot and ingress of rainwater through its vandalised roof.

The potential permanent loss of the theatre became the subject of several committees set up to raise funding for restoration from the early 1980’s which resulted in the eventual formation of the Stiwt Arts & Leisure Committee in 1988.

The efforts of local volunteers was eventually recognised and rewarded with substantial funding including a £2.1 million Heritage Lottery Grant. The refurbished facilities came at a total cost of £4.3 million, making the theatre second to none in the area. Theatr Stiwt was re-opened for business in September 1999 under the control of a limited Charitable trust The Stiwt Arts Trust Limited.

OUR STORY